Friday, August 16, 2024

Yet Another Variation on a d6 Oracle

Why do I keep coming back to this? I'm not even using a d6 oracle at the moment... but I feel there's a need for a good solution here.  I do like my 2 dice approach, one for YES/NO and the other for BUT-X-AND, but it does require having a blank die to write on, or else assigning numbers to those words, which means a bit of mental work.  

Yesterday I had this other idea, and I think it's my best yet.  The goal is to have a system that is fast, easy and modifiable.

2 dice.  One is dark and one is light coloured.  The dark one is NO and the light one is YES.  Roll both.  Subtract the lower from the higher and assign the colour of the higher.  The resulting number shows you the degree of the result on the prevailing colour of die.

Some examples:

NO=1, YES=3: 3-1 = 2... YES to a small degree/YES with a minor 'BUT'


YES=3, NO=6: 6-3= 3 ... a Straight NO


The last one would be YES (minor) BUT


It's easily modifiable, by adding +1-3 to either die depending on likelihood. Very Likely might be YES die + 2, for example.

The only thing I haven't worked out is what to do with doubles.  Could be a reroll, or ... could be an "interrupt event".  What do you think?  

Overall, I really like the simplicity of this system.  Should I start using it on the show, or just stick with my High-Low rolls?


6 comments:

  1. Here's a different 2d6 system you might like. Dice A: NO( 1-3) or YES(4-6). Dice B assigns a modifier on extremes: BUT(1) or AND(6). likeliness can be manipulated by adding or subtracting up to 2 points from the YES/NO Dice. this way even if you have something that is very unlikely(-2) you still have a 1 in 6 chance to get a result in the positive and vice versa.

    this was taken from the One Page Solo Engine by Karl Hendricks from Inflatable Studios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This one also works really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I rarely feel the need to modify the oracle, but if I do, then a simple +/- 1 gives me all I need, and I like the simplicity of a single die. If I do a season 2 then I might switch to the Mythic oracle, but I have a feeling I will end up sticking with the simple d6. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense. I've had good results with the single die in the past, too - and, truth be told, most often I just do the equivalent of a coin toss.

      Delete
  4. I kind of enjoy rolling 2d10. The first d10 is the Yes or No dice, but obviously with degrees, so a 10 is an extreme yes, while a 5 may be "barely no". The second dice is what I call the "Normality/Chaos" dice, so a 10 means that something highly unusual has influenced or caused the yes/no, and a 1 means that something very expected or "normal" for the universe or scenario has influenced or caused the yes/no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really cool approach. I never would've thought there'd be so many interesting ways to tackle this mechanic.

    ReplyDelete