Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Measure Twice, Cut Once - Or try it my dumb way

The goal for this week is to figure out how to get the best possible audio.  It has been something of a saga.  First I tried using my phone - and since I have an Android and Apple, I tried them both.  The Android surprisingly won and I recorded 30 minutes of material with that.  But then I tried using an SM57 into Audacity and it was quite a bit better so I rerecorded the same 30 minutes with that.  And then I tried to top that with my full studio rig (SM57 into a GoldenAge Pre73, into a Steinberg UR22 into Reaper and ... whoa ... it was much, much better.  So it looks like I'll be re-re-recording that same 30 minutes.  I could probably do it by memory by now.  What's that old adage...? Measure twice, cut once?  Yup. About that...

(Why didn't I start with my full rig since I have one?  A good question.  I was hoping to not be tied to my studio.  It would be way better if I could record anywhere, but, well, that's not gonna happen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment