Monday, September 4, 2023

Dungeon Pizza v2.0

 Boy did I nerd out on this project...


I decided to make an updated version of Professor DM's awesome dungeon pizza with a couple of upgrades.  I wanted a lazy susan and I wanted it to be magnetic.  This is the best craft I've done so far, I think, not that it's anything special.

Here's how I did it.

First, I used an old vinyl 10" record and cut up bits of fridge magnet. These were measured into 1" squares before being cut into random flagstone shapes and glued on.  For texture (the white stuff) I used a touch of caulk.

This was actually very fast and easy to do.



Here's a photo of the magnets I used.



Here's the completed record with all magnets glued on and given a once over of 50% Mod Podge and 50% grey paint. You want to do this step so everything is sealed in.



Next, paint the flagstone different colours.  They look too bright at this point, but that's OK.


Glued a CD under the record.


made a base with a second cd glued bottom up. There's a nut going through the centre.


Glued leatherette to the base.  This was a bit of a sloppy job, but the only use is to keep the back of the nut from scratching the table.



Finally a blackwash to knock down the colours, a gloss coat of Mod Podge and a second blackwash to dull down the shine.  I stuck an LED bezel in the centre of the record to keep the whole thing tight to the nut. 


The magnets are fairly weak, which is good. I don't want them to grip too hard.  Actually, if you use caulking to texture the magnets, you've got to be careful to use just a tiny amount or else the magnetism is lost. Worth testing a sample bit before you do a batch.






No comments:

Post a Comment