Friday, September 1, 2023

A Real Experience with Wading Through Freezing Water

Minor spoiler here if you have yet to listen to ep 43...

Way back in 2009, I was living and working in Korea (as a middle school teacher).  Since I was there for just one year, I decided to make the most of everything and say yes to virtually every opportunity and offer.  I had a million adventures that year, but one I will never forget was the Sancheoneo Ice Fishing Festival.





The festival has all kinds of activities, the biggest of which is the ice water pool in which brave contestants jump into freezing water barefootted and barelegged and try to catch fish in the pool bare handed.  As I was up for anything that year, I volunteered.  I'd never done a polar bear swim or anything like that before, so I was not prepared for what happened when I jumped in.  IMMEDIATELY, my feet and legs lost all feeling and I panicked inside, wondering what would happen if I were to fall over ... I'd be totally paralyzed.  And in a pool of water. Not good!

I took a step and saw a fish.  I plunged in a hand for the fish and not only missed, but ended up losing all feeling in that arm up to the elbow.  Now I was in trouble.  I wasn't sure if I could make my legs go even far enough to get me back out of the pool.  I sort of stumbled to one side, luckily stayed upright, and got out.  I have no idea how anyone managed to stay in there, let alone catch a fish.  Remarkable!  I can still remember that there were some people crying in the warming tent afterwards because the return of one's flesh to normal temperature is a painful journey.  

 

Glad I did it? Kind of.  

Do it again? No way.  

Did I feel bad for my PCs before they had to get into the channel?  Oh yes.

 

3 comments:

  1. Way, way, WAY off topic... please forgive me... but if you are interested, I put together a law/chaos "coin" after hearing the podcast of you using Pendulum. It is a VERY basic coin that I 3d printed, no frills, no flashy anything, just a coin with law on one side and chaos on the other. I am more than happy to send you the stl file for you to do with as you wish. My email address is kmkenpo@yahoo.com if you are interested. None the less, I do really enjoy your podcasts. Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great episode once again. One of the things I love about your show is how willing you are to potentially put your party/YOURSELF in an impossible situation. It forces you to really bear down and think your way out of it. And I'm always impressed with the result. The swamp scene in season 1 was my favorite such moment, second only to the final confrontation (which I played for a friend without context and it blew him away).
    I also appreciate the time you spend revealing your thought processes (like the bow-tie shape of the passage) and how you resolve questions in quick single rolls. I've learned a lot of tricks for my own solo RPG plays.
    Here's my own collections of solo plays from the last four years, if you ever get stuck in an elevator and need some light reading: https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/299707/corey-mayos-solo-rpg-actual-plays-master-geeklist
    Keep up the amazing work! Your podcast is my favorite way drive-time entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment Corey! Absolutely thrilled that you dig the show. Your mention of the swamp scene made me relive that imagined experience - one of my faves, too. Gonna go check out your solo AP now!

      Delete