Monday, July 4, 2022

Dice Making is Still Hard but it is a Bit Easier Now

 Why do we fail, Master Bruce?

Well, I learned through failure and got my first set of usable dice on attempt number five.  This doesn't mean that from now on I'm going to get perfect dice, but it does increase my chances for a good 'yield'.  

Without a pressure pot, I'll always be dealing with bubbles.  Anyway, here's what I've learned since those first couple of batches.

Attempt 3: The glitter pours out VERY QUICKLY!

But you know, these still look pretty good.  I only have 5 of them though.  Worth finishing the set? Maybe it is... they kind of look cool.  What colour ink is going to be visible against this though...?

Attempt 4: The white dye is different from all the other dyes and can sink if not mixed properly.  I tried to do a swirl using white.  Wrong colour.  Any other colour would have worked, but white, apparently, is known for being the gol-dang exception.  So from now on, white is only to be fully mixed in and used sparingly at that.  Otherwise, this stone-like colour is very cool.

Attempt 5: Success! I learned a trick to reduce bubbles.  Somebody mentioned waiting a bit until the resin began to harden, then 'painting' the lids of the molds with a bit of resin before fitting them into place.  It worked! At least, it worked this time.  I also kind of managed a 2 tone blend I was going for.  I figure, as long as I'm making dice, I may as well try to make them look special.  I've already got plain dice.

In addition to what I mentioned above, I've learned that the cure time of 72 hours doesn't need to be followed, or at least, I can demold after 24 hours.  This means I can attempt 1 set per day instead of every 3 days.  That should speed up the learning curve.  Also, this stuff is just stick as all heck.  Wearing a glove on the left hand helps, but the fingers of the right need to be free to work in the very fiddly lids of the molds.  Hmmm... maybe I need to try finger cots or something.  I also still need to learn about trimming the flash, sanding and polishing, and finally, inking. 


  1. Those look pretty good! I have been thinking of trying my hand at this too..

    1. Fun. Also frustrating and very messy. I have new respect for the folks who do this well.

  2. That 5th batch would have been completely acceptable in a 1980 box set. I'm sure you've watch this but an interesting history of the dice "industry" and some of the strangeness was put on youtube by Jon Peterson (of "Playing at the World", a must read).

  3. Oof, the struggle is real. I'm getting a bit better at this - trying a new batch every day - but without a pressure pot, I think I'm going to live in bubble city' as a permanent resident. Thanks for that link - checking it now :)