Friday, September 13, 2024

I've Switched to Spreaker/i-Heart

 So I have made the jump from Podbean to Spreaker/iHeart.  I had a good run with Podbean, so why the switch?



With Podbean, I had mostly pursued ad swaps with other pods and I embedded them into the audio so they were permanent.  I liked this idea because it meant that even years after publication, the ad swap partner was still getting something out of the ad.  Of course, there's the negative side of that coin: some pods went away while their ads remained.  Still, overall, I liked that system.

The real problem with ad swaps was that, when Podbean also introduced regular ads, certain eps could get very ad heavy - worse, it was unpredictable.  There might be 3 ads in a show one month, and 5 ads in the same episode the next month.  

Finally, working with other creators introduced an additional aspect of waiting on someone else to deliver product before I could finalize an episode.  I had so many bottlenecks with ad swap partners while I waited for them to send me audio files and it made my workflow slow and unpredictable.

Originally, when iHeart approached me and made the offer, I said no.  I was mid season and didn't want to do anything that might interfere with regular delivery of episodes.  But when they approached me a second time, S2 was coming to a close and I was able to accept.

I'm hoping the listener experience will be an improved one going into S3, but if there are any concerns out there, please let me know - I'm trying to put out the best podcast I can :)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting how iHeart approached you. I know podcasting is big business with many professional production companies but in muy mind most are still like they were 10, 15 years go - someone with a mike recording in their bedroom. Congrats all the same.

    ReplyDelete