Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Adventures in Acetone - part 2

 I've been continuing with some experiments in making Sprue Goo without actually having any sprues, and using acetone instead of plastic cement.  

At first, the only thing I successfully melted was styrofoam, and it worked OK, but I knew that I was not truly getting the best results, so I started experimenting.  Eventually, by trial and error, I found three kinds of plastics that worked correctly (most trial plastics just sat in the acetone and did nothing).  

These were: plastic bread tags, CD jewel cases and plastic push pins.  All three melted into a squishy liquid plastic-putty that could be put in an Oyumaru mold and - after letting cure for 1-2 days - became a hard plastic figuring or 'bit'.

Here's a goblin I cast with Oyumaru and then re-created with bread tabs.  Some detail is lost, but overall, it's not too bad (I still need to cut off all the flashing, or course).

Front


Back

No comments:

Post a Comment